The Pros and Cons of Hiring a Divorce Attorney
Although it is not legally required to hire a divorce attorney, it is often beneficial. Divorce is not often a pleasant experience. Even if you think you can go through it alone, it is always a great idea to have someone by your side.
A divorce attorney will provide you with the legal and emotional support you need to get through this rough patch. While it is always advised to hire a divorce attorney to help you through the divorce process, there may be reasons why you may be uncomfortable with hiring one.
But just like any other legal procedure, there are certain pros and cons you need to consider before you hire a divorce attorney.
The Pros of Hiring a Divorce Attorney
Hiring a divorce attorney can be very beneficial to your divorce proceedings. Here are some of the pros you should keep in mind:
- Lawyers know the procedure: Divorce attorneys specialize in matrimonial and family law. They are current concerning all the latest developments in divorce law. Each state has different laws and having a divorce attorney assures you that someone on your side knows the entire procedure. When you hire a divorce attorney, you get to benefit from their expertise.
- Lawyers handle paperwork: There is a lot of paperwork involved in a divorce. The divorce attorney would know when and how to file motions and petitions. How well your paperwork is handled can determine the outcome of your divorce. When you have a skilled divorce attorney, you can rest assured, that your lawyer knows what to do.
- Lawyers are experienced negotiators: Experienced and skilled divorce attorneys excel in negotiations. Hiring a divorce attorney will help you skillfully negotiate the terms of the divorce settlement. It can be difficult to negotiate important issues like child custody, spousal support, and property division all on your own.
- Lawyers can provide objective advice: The process of getting divorced can be incredibly stressful and draining. As a result of this, parties in the middle of a divorce often have a hard time seeing the bigger picture. It can lead them to make irrational decisions based on emotions. But an experienced divorce attorney can help provide objective advice, diffuse the emotional tension, and ensure you are thinking rationally through each important decision that must be made.
Cons of Hiring a Divorce Lawyer
Although having a divorce attorney by your side isgreat, there may be reasons to hesitate before hiring one. You may consider these some cons:
- Expense: Hiring a divorce lawyer can be expensive. An attorney’s fees can quickly pile up, especially if the divorce is drawn out and messy. But how much you may have to pay in attorney fees will depend on the complexity of your case, and only a few cases turn out this complex. Besides, most attorneys provide support to help clients understand and manage the potential costs of a complex divorce.
- It maybe awkward: If you blindside your spouse by hiring a divorce attorney without informing him or her, it may cause a certain amount of awkwardness. Your spouse might think that because you have legal representation, you’re trying to clean them out or act unreasonably. But if you believe you need a divorce attorney, you should inform your spouse.
Contact a Skilled Divorce Attorney
Gregory Bazylak is a skilled divorce attorney Brookville PA residents know and trust. He is an expert with years of experience. If you still cannot decide whether to hire a divorce attorney or, schedule a free legal consultation with Gregory to understand more about your options.